Thread: FWC Approves a 70 Day State Season

I live in Val-p, FL. My boat lives in Niceville & I dive off the coast of Destin.

Default FWC Approves a 70 Day State Season

HI Members,

Today, I traveled to Tallahassee for the FWC Commission Meeting where they voted on the State water season for Red Snapper.
    Private recreational fishermen will be delighted to know the Commission voted to approve the 70 day state water season.

I also put a copy of the ECRA Lionfish Population Control Pilot Program plan in the hands of all the commissioners.
    As of today, EVERY person in a position of leadership, at the FWC, has now been provided with a viable, aggressive, financially sustainable lionfish population control plan.
    Candy
    President, ECRA
    Reef Deployment Director

Way to go!!

Thanks Candy!

I live in Val-p, FL. My boat lives in Niceville & I dive off the coast of Destin.

Thanks for your appreciation Rich, but the real credit goes to the Department of Marine Fishery Management for proposing the 70 day season to begin with and to ALL the fishermen who showed up to speak at the local meetings. There were more private fishermen at the last meeting in Destin than I have seen at a fishery meeting in the past 10 years. You guys who showed up at that meeting are the hero's on this one. That includes you Rich!

Also, I sent a letter of appreciation to Martha Bademan (FWC), who gave the presentation to the Commissioners. She did a superb job presenting the facts and defending the proposal. If you remember, Martha Bademan was also the lone VOTE AGAINST Sector Separation,of the voting Gulf Council members who represent Florida. She has done very well and I wanted her to know that I personally appreciated her presentation.
    Candy
    President, ECRA
    Reef Deployment Director

4. Default

Looks like Amend 40 was signed off by the Sec of Commerce.

That is correct. Sector Separation passed. Everything has changed now.
    Candy
    President, ECRA
    Reef Deployment Director

Here is the official FWC Announcement with the season dates:

Commission approves 70-day recreational red snapper season in Gulf state waters

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) approved a 70-day recreational red snapper season for Gulf state waters at the April 16 meeting in Tallahassee. Red snapper is a popular species that has a strong economic impact for many coastal communities throughout Florida.

The 2015 season will start the Saturday before Memorial Day (May 23) and run through July 12, resume for all of Labor Day weekend (Sept. 5-7) and finish with Saturdays and Sundays throughout the rest of September and all of October, with the last day of harvest being Sunday, Nov. 1.

The 2015 Gulf federal waters recreational red snapper season has not been set yet and will be announced later this spring by NOAA Fisheries.
    Candy
    President, ECRA
    Reef Deployment Director

Thanks Candy!!!
    Capt. Frankie

My pleasure Frankie!
    Candy
    President, ECRA
    Reef Deployment Director