Thread: FWC Red Snapper Meeting in Destin 10 March

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Default FWC Red Snapper Meeting in Destin 10 March

Candy, is there a FWC meeting in Destin 10 March (9 March PNS). If so, do you think we should use the forum to come up with some keys points for discussion.

It's March 10: Destin, Destin Community Center, 101 Stahlman Ave

I'm sure an army of charter guys will be there trying to keep a 70 day rec season from happening. That would destroy there fed season. Please show up and voice your opinion, unless you're content with paying for fish or paying someone to take you fishing. Recreational fishing (according to FWC) generates 7.6 billion to the economy. Saltwater Licensing revenue: 1,612,102 recreational saltwater licenses sold (resident and nonresident) in fiscal year 13/14; $29,073,573 in revenue generated from license sales. This is State, they got skin in this game. We pay a big part of the bills, so I'd think we'd have their attention.

I live in Val-p, FL. My boat lives in Niceville & I dive off the coast of Destin.

Exclamation Tuesday March 10 - 6-8pm Destin Community Center

Below my note is the FWC's announcement for a meeting that is designed to collect public comments on the upcoming State water season for Red Snapper.

Tuesday March 10th, 6-8pm at the Destin Community Center

For Private recreational fishermen who wish to fish from their own boats, this meeting will probably be the most important local meeting to attend this year. The State will be listening to comments from the public on this issue and if you don't show up, you will not be heard.

All the Charter guys, their employees, family members and friends will be there to protect their ability to be profitable this year. Who can blame them? Do private recreational fishermen want access to the Red Snapper fishery? If you do, you had better grab your fishing buddies and attend the meeting AND speak-up! This is a STATE meeting, not a Federal meeting. The State will listen to you, if you show up.

If you own a charter that is regulated under Federal Law, MSA Amendment 30-B, you will most certainly want the State to severely limit access to recreational fishermen in State waters since you cannnot fish in State Waters while Federal waters are closed. This amendment (30-b) was designed to set the charter industry against the private recreational fishermen and it has been very successful at achieving that goal. That is why I have been very public in opposing 30-b in the past, I did not like the fact that the Feds were setting us up to compete with each other for access. It was very transparent that the goal was divide and conquer.

Regardless of your position, it is imperitive that you attend this public meeting to voice your position.

As for myself personally, I will be asking for the longest season possible in State waters so that I will have an opportunity to fish from my own boat. I wish that request didn't have to be at the expense of the charter guys but, I hope they remember that it wasn't the private guys who asked for amendment 30-b. If they are angry, I hope they will direct their anger at those who put the noose around their necks and remember that it wasn't the private recreational fisherman, it was the GC and NMFS.

************************************************** ******************************************

Gulf recreational red snapper season workshops scheduled for March

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) is hosting several public workshops in March to gather public input on the Gulf of Mexico recreational red snapper season in state waters (from shore out to 9 nautical miles).
    The workshops are scheduled for the following locations (all are from 6 to 8 p.m. local time):
    • March 9: Pensacola, Bayview Community Center, 2000 E. Lloyd St.
    March 10: Destin, Destin Community Center, 101 Stahlman Ave.
    • March 11: Panama City, Gulf Coast State College, Student Union East, 2nd Floor Conference Room, 5230 W U.S. Highway 98
    • March 12: Carrabelle, Carrabelle City Municipal Complex, 1001 Gray Ave.
    • March 16: St. Petersburg, Fish & Wildlife Research Institute, 3rd floor #3A and 3B, 100 Eighth Ave. SE
    At the workshops, staff will gather public input on a proposed 2015 season that would start the Saturday before Memorial Day (May 23) and run through Sunday, July 12, resume for all of Labor Day weekend (Sept. 5-7) and finish with Saturdays and Sundays throughout September and October, with the last day of harvest being Sunday, Nov. 1. This proposed season would be 70 days. This season was the preferred option discussed by FWC Commissioners during their February meeting in Jacksonville.
    The 2014 season in Gulf state waters began the Saturday before Memorial Day and remained open through July 14 (a total of 52 days).
    Staff will present workshop results to the Commission at its April meeting in Tallahassee. The Commission will take final action on setting the 2015 Gulf red snapper state season during the April meeting.
    Red snapper is a popular species that has a strong economic impact for many coastal communities throughout Florida.
    For more information, visit MyFWC.com/Fishing and click on “Saltwater,” “Rulemaking” and “Upcoming Public Workshops” or call 850-487-0554.
    Candy
    President, ECRA
    Reef Deployment Director

I live in Val-p, FL. My boat lives in Niceville & I dive off the coast of Destin.

Meeting is tonight.

Things to remember, if you want the 70 day season, be sure to fill out a comment card when you arrive. In the topic or subject line, write Support for 70 day State water RS season if that is what YOU want. To have your suppport logged in public record, you must fill out one of the comment cards and be willing to stand up and give your opinion on the state season whatever that may be.

I will be speaking as a private citizen supporting a 70 day season. Regardless of what season you would like, you should attend this very important meeting to let the State hear what your thoughts are on the matter.

Meeting starts in 90 minutes, hope to see you all there!
    Candy
    President, ECRA
    Reef Deployment Director

A MILLION Thanks to all the amazing people who showed up and shared their own personal views tonight!

Since 2006, this is the LARGEST group of private recreational fishermen I have ever seen at a fishery meeting! Kudo's to each and every one of you for being an important part of the decision making process.

The meeting went well and I believe that your voice was heard. I'll keep you all in the loop as things progress.

Again, thank you all for showing up and sharing your personal views. You were all amazing! Very Respectful meeting. That was good.
    Candy
    President, ECRA
    Reef Deployment Director

Click on the attachment to see the slides from last night's meeting.

Thanks to Martha Bademan for sharing them with me.
    Candy
    President, ECRA
    Reef Deployment Director