Thread: FWC Public Comment Workshop Red Snapper Mgt,

I live in Val-p, FL. My boat lives in Niceville & I dive off the coast of Destin.

Exclamation FWC Public Comment Workshop Red Snapper Mgt,

Members and all fishermen and spearfishermen/women, If you want to have a say in how our fishery is managed, I highly suggest that you attend this upcoming meeting! Our State will soon be making all kinds of decisions that will have an impact on your access to the fishery. If you want those decisions to be in your favor, you need to show up at this meeting! I'll be there but I can't speak for all of you, you have to do that yourselves.

Gulf red snapper recreational fishing workshops start this month

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) has scheduled a series of Gulf of Mexico red snapper workshops for recreational stakeholders beginning in late July to discuss state and federal management of recreational red snapper. The workshops will also explore potential future approaches to managing this fishery in an effort to ensure optimal access for Florida’s resident and visiting anglers.
    Anglers who would like to share their ideas and help improve management are encouraged to attend.

[All meetings will be from 6 to 8:30 p.m. local time and are set for:

• July 28: Pensacola, Pensacola City Hall (2nd-floor Hagler Mason room), 222 W. Main St.
    July 29: Destin, Destin Community Center, 101 Stahlman Ave.
    • July 30: Panama City, Florida State University – Panama City, lecture hall of Holley Center, 4750 Collegiate Drive
    • July 31: Carrabelle, Carrabelle City Hall cafeteria, 1001 Gray Ave.
    • Aug. 11: St. Petersburg, Fish and Wildlife Research Institute, 3rd-floor conference room, 100 Eighth Ave. SE.

Red snapper in the Gulf of Mexico off Florida are managed by the FWC in state waters (from shore to 9 nautical miles) and by the Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council in federal waters (beyond 9 nautical miles).
    These snapper are largely harvested in federal waters, but also occur and are harvested recreationally in state waters off northwest Florida. Because of management constraints, the federal season has consistently been shortened for several years in a row even though the recreational quota, or total poundage of fish that could be caught by anglers, has increased and the red snapper population has improved. This year’s federal season was the shortest yet, at nine days. Florida’s state season was 52 days.

The FWC is seeking input from recreational anglers about how to better manage recreational harvest of this species at the state and federal level while continuing to rebuild the fishery. Several management options that are being considered for federal waters by the Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council will be discussed, including sector separation, which entails dividing the federal recreational red snapper quota into separate private-angler and for-hire quotas; an individual fishing quota (IFQ) program for federally permitted charter and head boats, similar to the existing program for commercial vessels, which allots a specific portion of fish to individual vessels; and regional management, in which the recreational fishery in federal waters could be managed on a state-by-state basis.
    These workshops offer stakeholders an opportunity to share their expectations for the red snapper fishery and their ideas on potential management options for state and federal waters.
    Please call 850-487-0554 or email Marine@MyFWC.com for more information. Visit MyFWC.com/Fishing and click on “Saltwater” and “Rulemaking” for more on these workshops.
    Candy
    President, ECRA
    Reef Deployment Director

I went to this last night. I'd say there was about 75 people there, almost all charter boat captains or mates. Very few rec guys. But, it was the same old song and dance. Just coming up with new and creative ways to divide up the same pie. I asked what they were doing to increase the snapper population, besides more restrictions. I wanted to know if any of this money was going to more reefs, hatcheries, etc. All I got was how they are improving how they get the data. Very disappointing.

3. Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by jonesrw View Post
    I went to this last night. I'd say there was about 75 people there, almost all charter boat captains or mates. Very few rec guys. But, it was the same old song and dance. Just coming up with new and creative ways to divide up the same pie. I asked what they were doing to increase the snapper population, besides more restrictions. I wanted to know if any of this money was going to more reefs, hatcheries, etc. All I got was how they are improving how they get the data. Very disappointing.
    Yes, I heard your question and realized they did not answer the question.

Yeah, I got tired of asking the same question. Not sure why he avoided my question. I can only guess its because their job is to sift data, not actually improved the fishery.

5. Default

Thanks for asking the obvious question.
    When are these idiots gonna realize the answer is HABITAT!
    -Mark

I live in Val-p, FL. My boat lives in Niceville & I dive off the coast of Destin.

The GOOD News is that the Florida Legislature is seriously looking at the value of artificial reefs. Because of the Florida Legislature's interest, the FWC is paying for an economic impact study that is being conducted by UWF.

Here is a link to the presentation I gave the Florida Senate Appropriations Committee last December where I outlined the benefits of problem solving:http://www.flsenate.gov/media/videop...804_2013121069

This is the presentation that the Senators were looking at while I was talking: http://www.ecreef.org/Presentation_P...20Dec%2013.pdf

The wheels of change sometimes move slowly but, if you are patient and persistent, they will eventually move.

I have been in contact with William Huth at UWF and, according to him, the early results of their economic impact survey shows that the value of artificial reefs is higher than they thought in the past. This should help the FWC get more funding from the legislature especially if the people (that means YOU) let your elected representatives know that you want fishery management to focus on SOLUTIONS!

If you receive a postcard in the mail about this survey, I encourage you to take the time to complete it so your voice is heard.
    Candy
    President, ECRA
    Reef Deployment Director

I hate to say it but I don't think the Gulf Council or NMFS have ANY interest in the health of the fishery. Actions speak louder than words and look at the actions they take. I have been pleading with them for years to do something about the lionfish and it's almost 30 years since they first knew about this problem and they still do NOTHING! They seem to be most interested in turning people against each other and exerting their control over everyone. I am not impressed. They do nothing to mitigate problems or minimize negative impacts to the fishery unless it involves increased restrictions on fishermen/women. If their strategy worked, we'd have the healthiest most abundant fishery in the history of the world instead, each year, they impose more restrictions to access. This system is “irretrievably broken".

Until the masses rise up and demand that management focus on solving problems instead of managing/creating them, we are screwed! Begging the regulators who are the problem isn't working. So what to do? Talk to the legislators! In the end, THEY are responsible for the regulatory agencies and if they want to, they can make a difference!

I have a very simple solution: insert the following sentences in the Magnusson Stevens Act:

1. NO sector shall be allowed to fish while any other sector is denied access to the fishery. All sectors shall have equal seasons.
    This would STOP the “Us v/s Them” fighting and put everyone on the same side again. This would create unity that could then effectively steer management to building a healthy and sustainable fishery instead of manageing problems, many of which NMFS /GC create with their failed management strategies.

2. A fishery is considered closed anytime access is denied for more than 3 consecutive week days or any weekend day except during the spawing season of any given species.

3. Any fishery that requires closure, unless due to an event out of the control of fishery management, (such as an oil spill) shall be considered a failure in fishery management and the management shall be replaced within 6 weeks of such action.
    A properly managed fishery should never be over fished. Recreational fishermen are blamed for overfishing even though we are allowed the least access AND we follow the rules set by fishery management. It is fishery management's failure, not the fault of recreational fishermen. Punish the failed managers, not the fishermen! If they increased habitat, they would increase the number of fish, it's that simple!

4. Pay for fishery management executives shall be on a success scale. The healthier the fishery and the more access granted, the higher the pay. Beginning pay would start at $100K and go as high as $1M for decreasing the cost of fishery management by $1M and creating a healthy and sustainabile fishery and maximizing fishery access to all fishermen/women.
    Candy
    President, ECRA
    Reef Deployment Director

8. Default

I also went to the meeting. The CFHs that were sitting at my table did not even lnow that the Gulf Council had a web site. They did not know that Amend 40 was up for public comment. They did not know that 98% of the comments were running against Sect Sep. They did not know that the majority of CFH public comments were against Sect Sep. They have definitely sipped the cool aid. If this passes one only needs to follow the money.