Thread: Rec Permit/Data collection

I live in Val-p, FL. My boat lives in Niceville & I dive off the coast of Destin.

Default Rec Permit/Data collection

Members,

Below I have posted the announcement from the FWC that they are moving forward with a proposed scheme to permit recreational fishermen who fish for reef fish. This is NOT a done deal YET. It will be brought up again at the June Commission Meeting. Between now and then, it is open for public comment. I HIGHLY ENCOURAGE you to learn more about this plan and send comments to the FWC Commission. I will do my best to give you all the information you need to make your own decision as to whether you support this scheme or not.

I have a copy of the entire proposal including the budget. Unfortunately, the file is too large to post on the forum but anyone who would like to study the plan is welcome to send me a PM and I will e-mail you the file.

In future posts, I will share with you my personal concerns with the plan but I encourage you to read the plan yourself and if you see something I am missing, please feel free to share it with me.

I CANNOT EXPRESS HOW CRITICAL YOUR ATTENTION IS TO THIS PROPOSAL, this is much more important than any other access issue you have seen before!

For immediate release: April 16, 2014

Suggested Tweet: Gulf reef #fish data expected to improve with new reporting system: http://content.govdelivery.com/accou...lletins/b1ad39 @MyFWC

FWC moves forward with creation of a Gulf Reef Fish Data Reporting System

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) at its April 16 meeting in Tallahassee moved forward with a proposal to create a Gulf Reef Fish Data Reporting System that would help improve recreational reef fish data collection in Florida Gulf waters. This new system would help determine how many anglers are targeting reef fish in the Gulf. A sample of these anglers would be surveyed to provide more accurate catch and effort data for reef fish trips.

This proposal will be brought back before the Commission at its June meeting in Fort Myers for a final public hearing.
    If approved, private recreational anglers fishing from a boat in Gulf state waters (excluding Monroe County), including those 65 and older, would be required to take part in the Gulf Reef Fish Data Reporting System to harvest or possess any of the following reef fish: red and vermilion snapper; gag, black and red grouper; gray triggerfish; greater and lesser amberjack; banded rudderfish; and almaco jack.

Anglers, captain and crew aboard for-hire vessels would not be required to partake in the data-collection system because they already have their own survey. Anglers under 16 years of age and those fishing from a vessel with a vessel recreational fishing license would also be exempt.

This would be a no-cost program, due to a five-year National Fish and Wildlife Foundation Gulf restoration grant. The Commission directed staff to include language for a five-year sunset clause so that when the grant funding ends, the program would be evaluated and reconsidered.

If the Gulf Reef Fish Data Reporting System is approved at the June meeting, data reporting would be required by April 1, 2015. Anglers would be able to enroll starting May 2014 and encouraged to sign up when they renew their fishing license.
    To learn more, visit MyFWC.com/Commission and “Commission Meetings.”
    -30-
    AN/TB/MB/MFM
    LB/KR/FWRI
    WBD/SCB
    ES/NW
    Candy
    President, ECRA
    Reef Deployment Director

I live in Val-p, FL. My boat lives in Niceville & I dive off the coast of Destin.

IF you would like to watch the FWC meeting and hear the comments from the public and the Commission, here is a link to the video:

http://thefloridachannel.org/videos/...ion-commission

You will notice that not all charter fishermen are thinking only of themselves. I hope seeing this will give all of you who think all charter operators are your enemy a chance to re-think that opinion. Recreational fishing is recreational fishing no matter if you are on a charter boat or a private boat. Many thanks to the Charter operators who supported the State keeping the state water fishery open even though they are not allowed to fish due to the federal reef fish permit that restricts their access. You have my respect and appreciation.
    Candy
    President, ECRA
    Reef Deployment Director