Thread: 2013 Lionfish Tournament Official Info

I live in Val-p, FL. My boat lives in Niceville & I dive off the coast of Destin.

Post 2013 Lionfish Tournament Official Info

This Thread will contain official information for the

2013 Lionfish Tournament

In this thread, you will find:
    Tournament Rules
    Registration Form
    Lionfish Turn-in locations and times & contact info for large collections
    Special or Important Announcements
    Lists of Charter Operators that encourage lionfish removal
    Ongoing leaderboard
    Lionfish Workshop Information
    Lionfish Safety Information

IMPORTANT:
    Tournament Participants must register on the forum to be granted posting privileges. (Click the word "Register" in the blue bar at the top of the forum and follow the directions.) You can read posts without registering but, if there are important messages that may affect you, you will not be notified unless you are registered on the forum. Contact: Candy@valp.net if you have registration problems.

Captains Meeting
    Wednesday September 11, 2013 7-8pm Mitchell Building (right next to Valparaiso City Hall)
    FWC donated lionfish t-shirts will be given away at the Captains meeting. First T-shirts will be given to those who registered earliest. Don't be late or you might miss out!

ECRA has a limited number of Hex Armour needle resistant gloves that can help protect you from stings. They will be available at the Capt. Meeting at our cost of $30.00. ECRA is making zero profit on the gloves.

Hand warmer heat packs will be provided by ECRA to all teams that show up at the Captains Meeting.

See you there!

FREE Lionfish Educational Workshop
    September 12, 2013 6:30-8:00 pm
    Discovery Dive World in Valparaiso
    Lionfish Information and Safety by: Candy Hansard
    Lionfish Killing tips by: Rob Dietz ~ Winner of the prestigious "Don Gaetz Champion of the Fishery award" Killed 101 lionfish for the 2012 contest!
    Lionfish Filleting tips by: Stone Hansard

Awards Ceremony
    Dewey Destin's on the Bay October 13th ~ 9 Calhoun, Ave. Destin FL 32541.
    Lionfish fried up by their Fine Chef!
    Florida State Representative Matt Gaetz to present the "Don Gaetz Champion of the Fishery Award" to the team that brings in the most lionfish over 500!
    More details to be posted
    Last edited by Candy; 09-15-13 at 07:01 AM.
    Candy
    President, ECRA
    Reef Deployment Director

I live in Val-p, FL. My boat lives in Niceville & I dive off the coast of Destin.

Default RULES

A FREE Lionfish Educational workshop is being held September 12, 2013 6:30-8:00 pm at Discovery Dive World in Valparaiso. Seating is limited RSVP to: Candy@valp.net

Tournament Rules

1. Registration is includes a team of 2 divers who are a lionfish killing team.
    2. Register EARLY and attend the Capt. Meeting Sept. 11 at 7:00 PM Valparaiso City Hall and you will receive a lionfish t-shirt donated by the FWC
    3. Early registrants (NLT Sept 13) will receive 2 entries for each team member ,in the consolation prize drawings. Everyone that turns in lionfish but does not place will be elegable to win one of many AWESOME consulation prizes.
    4. Regsitratants after September 13th will only receive 1 entry per team member for the consolation prize drawings.
    5. By paying and registering for this tournament, you agree to abide by all rules of the tournament including releasing the Emerald Coast Reef Association and their Board of Directors (BOD) and, all partners and donors from any and all liability for any injuries to your person or property during your participation in any and all activities associated with this lionfish tournament (Including but not limited to: boating, diving, spearfishing, lionfish handling.)
    6. By paying and registering for this tournament, you confirm that you are a certified diver.
    7. It is the responsibility of each team to register on the FREE ECRA forum so that they will be kept informed of any turn-in location or time changes and, to have a place to ask questions. Go to: www.ecreef.org click on forum, click on register, follow prompts.
    8. If you are under 18 years of age, you are ineligible to participate without a parent or guardian providing a signature agreeing that the parent accepts full responsibility for your safety and the safety of your property and agrees that the parent/guardian alone is responsible and liable for any an all injuries to the minor or his property during any and all tournament related activities.
    9. Registrations will be accepted through-out the tournament but you must pay & register prior to turning in lionfish for consideration.
    10. Registration fees are non-refundable
    11. Lionfish must be kept on ice or frozen to keep them in good eating and research condition prior to turn-in. Rotten, obviously old, or freezer burnt lionfish will not be accepted. Lionfish that are severely damaged by the spearing ARE acceptable.
    12. Lionfish not consumed at the awards ceremony will be donated for lionfish research.
    13. Lionfish counting and measurements will be verified by a member of the Board of Directors of the Emerald Coast Reef Association or a person appointed by a member of the Board.
    14. 1st. 2nd & 3rd prizes will be determined by the total number of lionfish turned in regardless of size
    15. The Don Gaetz Champion of the fishery award has a minimum requirement for winning of 500 lionfish turned in. In the event more than one team turns in 500 lionfish, the team with the greatest number of lionfish will win. In case there is a tie, both teams will get a Don Gaetz Champion of the Fishery Award Plaque and the Grand Prize and 1st prize will be added together and then divided evenly between the winning teams. If 3 teams tie, the 2 place prize will also be added in and the total of all prizes will be split evenly between all three teams and all three teams will receive a Don Gaetz Champion of the Fishery Award Plaque. Each member of the winning team/teams will get a “Don Gaetz Champion of the Fishery Award Plaque.
    16. Lionfish for the largest and smallest category will be measured on a measuring device provided by ECRA to insure consistancy. Pictures will be taken of the fish and the measurement with the team # assigned by ECRA to provide an indisputable record of size information for the largest and smallest lionfish. In the event of a tie on the largest lionfish, the fish will be gutted and weighed with the heaviest fish the winner. In the event of a tie with the smallest lionfish, they will be weighed ungutted and the lightest one will be considered the winner. If there is still a tie, the prize monies will be split evenly between the winners. The decision of the ECRA BOD Member will be final.
    17. All catch counts must be verified by an ECRA representitive.
    18. Your picture will be taken with your fish at the turn-in and, research information will be recorded.
    19. You agree to allow ECRA rights to use pictures of you and your catch to help further their educational mission. You agree to allow ECRA to use your picture in literature, presentations, on our website, etc.
    20. Only the registered team members may help in the lionfish killing and bagging. Both team members are allowed to spear and bag at the same time or you may have one spearing while the other helps bag. It is your preference.
    21. Only fish speared and bagged by registered members of a team may be entered in the competition.
    22. NON-team member divers are NOT allowed to help in the underwater collection of lionfish in any way, including holding the catch bag or your spear. Only registered team members, registered on the same team, can help each other in the killing and bagging activities.
    23. Team members must bring their catch to the surface without other divers assistance. Team members may send their catch to the surface via a lift bag or other means of their choice, as long as non team members do not assist.
    24. Deckhands may lift your catch into the boat when you surface to assist a safe water exit. Deck hands may also hand you your gear when you enter the water prior to your decent. Once you begin your decent , only your registered team mate may provide assistance.
    25. To keep the competition fair for all divers, the use of re-breathers during this tournament is prohibited. However, ECRA supports removing the regulation that prohibits the use of re-breathers while spearing in State Waters because, people on re-breathers can stay down longer and kill more lionfish! Please support that regulation change!
    26. If you are under 18 years of age, you MUST have a parent or guardian sign the registration form. Any underage registrants who fail to have parental or legal guardian signature on registration are NOT considered a participant in this tournament and any fish turned in by his/her team will be disqualified.
    27. For Research Purposes, the following information will be collected when you turn in your catch:

1. Team Members Names and Team Registration Number
    2. Date of Turn-in
    3. Team member’s Name of the Person checking-in the catch
    4. Dates of Catch
    5. Total # of lionfish turned in (Picture of the team member/s will be taken after count)
    6. Largest and Smallest fish (Pictures will be taken while fish is on a measuring device, to keep measurements consistent and to have proof of the size at the awards ceremony.)
    7. # of dives completed
    8. Water Depths of dives
    9. Maximum wave height on day of the dive/dives
    10. Were you able to kill all the lionfish you saw off the reefs you dived? Yes / No
    11. Approximate # of gallons of Fuel used for dive trip or cost of Dive Charter
    12. Lionfish removed from State or Federal Waters ____ # State / ____# Federal
    13. At least 1 team member’s signature verfying their team killed and bagged all lionfish turned in during the contest period
    14. Signature of the ECRA representative checking in the fish
    28. Un-sportsmanlike conduct will not be allowed. Warnings will be given once and if unsportsman like behavior continues, the team will be disquallified. The decision the Tournament Chairperson will be final in all disputes.
    29. You are responsible to deliver the fish to an approved collection location during the times posted on the ECRA forum. ECRA will make every effort to make sure that you can unload your fish as quickly as possible but you must be on time. Collections are run by volunteers so we need to respect their time and treat them right!
    30. ECRA reserves the right to add or change any rules that are deemed necessary. Rule changes will require a majority vote of the ECRA BOD. (This has never happened before and is highly unlikely to happen but, it is impossible to foresee all situations that may need to be addressed.)

Turning in the LIONFISH after you kill them

You will need to register on ECRA’s FREE fishing and diving forum so that you will be allowed to post. Go to www.ecreef.org, click on forum then click on register and follow the prompts. During the month long tournament, if we need to make turn-in times or location changes, the forum is where we will make those announcements. You can ask questions here, post about your progress, find other divers to share fuel expenses, challenge other teams and, just have fun! Make sure when you register that you allow e-mails from the administrator, this is how you will be notified of any important tournament related information.

• Lionfish Turn-In location and times will be listed on the ECRA forum under Tournaments and contests under the title of “Lionfish Turn-in info”.
    • Make sure to keep your fish well iced until you can turn them in to keep them fresh.
    • Lionfish will be counted and measured by ECRA’s appointed person in-front of at least one of the registered team members.
    • Separate out your largest and smallest fish for measuring, prior to the turn-in count, to help speed the check in process.
    • Be careful reaching into a cooler holding lionfish: lionfish spines remain venomous on ice!

Most spearfishers have never hunted lionfish before. They have venomous spines that can sting you. They are really easy to kill but, you might want to learn some tricks for hunting, bagging, and just in case you do get stung, some first aid advice.

For first time lionfish hunters or if you just want to improve your chances of winning, it is highly recommended that you attend ECRA’s FREE Lionfish Educational Workshop Sept. 12th 6:30 – 8:00pm at Discovery Dive World in Valparaiso! You can also find safety and hunting tips on the ECRA website. Go to www.ecreef.org and click on the lionfish information link on the left hand side of the page.
    Candy
    President, ECRA
    Reef Deployment Director

Default Registration

You can register at the following locations beginning Monday Sept. 2

Destin
    Scuba Tech - 850-837-2822
    Emerald Coast Scuba - 850-837-0955

Valparaiso
    Discovery Dive World - 850-678-5001

Crestview
    Divers Emporium - 850-689-3483 The "Miss Teak" Dive boat is located in FWB

Divers Emporium will give a $1.00 credit towards your next dive charter for every lionfish brought on the Miss Teak charter boat, by their customers.

Destin
    Destin Snorkel 850-269-2329
    38' Hatteras ~ Available for Dive Charters $175 per hour, flat fee that includes up to 6 divers. Will take you where you want to go or to some great reefs that the Capt. knows

How to Register ONLINE:
    Go to: www.ecreef.org
    Click on the DONATE button
    Enter $25.00 for the donation
    Click on "Add special instructions to the seller"
    Enter the team members names
    Submit Payment
    Then, copy, paste & print the registration form (Next Post) and send it to candy@valp.net

Register at the Captains Meeting:
    Where: Mitchell Building (Next to Valparaiso City Hall)
    When: Wednesday September 11, 2013 7:00-8:00 pm
    Payment by cash or check only at the captains meeting but, you can turn in your registration form there and pay online.

Register by mail:
    Make checks payable to ECRA and send to: P.O.Box 273 ~ Niceville, FL ~ 32588
    copy, paste & print the registration form (Next Post) and include it with your payment.
    Last edited by Candy; 09-06-13 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Add new sponsor info
    Candy
    President, ECRA
    Reef Deployment Director

Default Registration Form

For Online or mailed registrations: Copy and paste in your word processing program then print, complete, sign and send to candy@valp.net

ECRA 2013 Lionfish Tournament Registration Form
    $25.00 Registration FEE covers a 2 person team

* By paying your registration fee, you agree to abide by all rules of the tournament. Date of payment is the official day of registration. Each registration form must be accompanied with a paid-in-full receipt, provided by the dive shop, that includes the registration #. Online Registrations via paypal do not requre a receipt. Registration fees are non-refundable. If both team members are unavailable to sign the form at the time of registration, the team member who hasn’t signed the form must do so at the Captains Meeting or, complete form w/ receipt may be e-mailed to candy@valp.net.

PLEASE PRINT CLEARLY

Registration Date: _____________

Paid to: ___Dive Shop with: ___Cash ____ Check

Paid via: ( ___ Online www.ecreef.org) (____Mail PO Box 273 Niceville FL 32588)
    ____Capt Meeting, ___ Tourny

#1 Full Name _____________________________________Emergency Contact #________________
    Are you 18 years or older: Yes / No If NO, You must register in person with your parent or legal
    guardian signing the registration form giving permission and accepting responsibility for your safety
    at all times and agreeing to abide by the rules of the tournament.

E-mail ____________________________________ Best Contact Phone #: _______________________

Team Member signature:________________________________________ ___Date:_______________

Guardian Signature: ___________________________________________ ___Date: _______________

#2 Full Name _____________________________________Emergency Contact #_________________
    Are you 18 years or older: Yes / No If NO, You must register in person with your parent or legal
    guardian signing the registration form giving permission and accepting responsibility for your safety
    at all times and agreeing to abide by the rules of the tournament.

E-mail ____________________________________ Best Contact Phone #: _______________________

Team Member signature:________________________________________ ___Date:_______________

Guardian Signature: ___________________________________________ ___Date: _______________
    Candy
    President, ECRA
    Reef Deployment Director

Default Turn-in Location Info

Turn-in Locations and times will be posted here. If you have a large haul and need to arrange an earlier turn-in, reply to this post with your request and all efforts will be made to accommodate you.

Please, remember we're all volunteers, not paid. Please be on time! Thanks!

First Turn In will be Sunday September 15th from 5-6pm at the Destin Marina located at the foot of the Destin Bridge, directly across from Crab Island. Please send me an e-mail at candy@valp.net to let me know if you will be bringing in fish for the count on that day so that I am ready to handle the numbers!!! Remember, keep your fish iced down to keep them fresh!! Thanks everyone and good luck this weekend!

2nd Turn-in will be Monday September 16 from 4 - 5:30 ath the Destin Marina Please send me an e-mail at candy@valp.net to let me know if you will be bringing in fish for the count on that day so that I am ready to handle the numbers!!! Remember, keep your fish iced down to keep them fresh!! Thanks everyone and good luck this weekend!

3rd Turn-in will be Sunday September 22 from 5:00 - 6:00 pm. I'll stay until all the fish are counted and recorded. If you have a mid-week haul of fish, please e-mail me or send me a text message. I sent all registered participants an e-mail today with that information. If you didn't get it, e-mail me at candy@valp.net with a good e-mail address for you. Thanks! Please send me an e-mail at candy@valp.net to let me know if you will be bringing in fish for the count on that day so that I am ready to handle the numbers!!! Remember, keep your fish iced down to keep them fresh!! Thanks everyone and good luck this weekend!

4th Turn-in will be Sunday September 29 from 5:00 - 6:00 pm. I'll stay until all the fish are counted and recorded. If you have a mid-week haul of fish, please e-mail me or send me a text message. I sent all registered participants an e-mail with that information. If you didn't get it, e-mail me at candy@valp.net with a good e-mail address for you. Thanks! Please send me an e-mail at candy@valp.net to let me know if you will be bringing in fish for the count on that day so that I am ready to handle the numbers!!! Remember, keep your fish iced down to keep them fresh!! Thanks everyone and good luck this weekend!

LAST TURN-IN -Sunday October 13th 3:30 pm. At Dewey Destins on the Bay. If you think you may have the largest or smallest fish, please separate those fish prior to counting to speed the process for everyone. Thanks! Looks like we will have perfect sea conditions, FINALLY! Good luck this weekend everyone! Stay Safe! Remember, keep your fish iced down to keep them fresh!!

PLEASE RSVP to let me know how many people will be attending the Awards Ceremony and Lionfish Fry. We want to be prepared to feed everyone!

Video Submissions should be brought to the Awards Ceremony on a thumb drive or CD. We will have a TV and computer there to play the video's! Good luck videographers!!

Candy
    Last edited by Candy; 10-12-13 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Update turn-in info
    Candy
    President, ECRA
    Reef Deployment Director

Default Video Contest

We have the prize money for the Lionfish Video Contest now!

Strap on those go-pro's or tote your favorite video camera and join the competition!

There is NO entry fee for the video contest

The best submitted video will be awarded $200.00

We are interested in video's that show large populations of lionfish, lionfish killing sprees, lionfish feeding on our native fish, lionfish collection tips and tricks but, you might make a video with an idea that is even better that what we are thinking so, be creative and have fun!

Entries will be judged on content, video quality and production. We are interested in short videos (approx. 3 minutes) that we can use in presentations, educational lectures and on our website. The videographer will ALWAYS be listed any time video's are used for any purpose. ECRA reserves the right to use videos submitted to provide educational opportunities so, even if you don't win, you will be helping the fishery by increasing public awareness of the problem. Thanks!

Please submit video's in mpg, mpeg or Mp4. No 3-D. E-mail submissions may have to go through Drop-Box due to size. Submit to candy@valp.net or send CD to ECRA: P.O. Box 273 ~ Niceville, FL 32580

All videos must be taken on the Florida Panhandle and, in 2013. Include a note telling the depth of the water or you can include a view of your depth gauge or computer in the video.

Video's submitted will be played at the awards ceremony and the winner will be announced along with the tournament winners. We'll have a BIG lionfish fry so every one will be fed well.

Video's should not be submitted with business names imbedded.

ECRA is a 501 c3 non-profit that is working very hard to save our fishery so that we can all continue to enjoy fishing access for generations to come.

Please take 5 minutes of your time to participate in a survey that we are conducting to help us put together a lionfish population control proposal. We want to be able to put together a program that will have the highest likelihood of success and your answers will help us do that. Go here: www.ecreef.org
    Candy
    President, ECRA
    Reef Deployment Director