Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Pictures Reefing the Monica Lee

I live in Val-p, FL. My boat lives in Niceville & I dive off the coast of Destin.

Default Last batch of pictures from Day 4 Nov 21st 2010

Last batch of pictures from Day 4 Nov 21st 2010 The last three pictures were taken by Rick Colquett. He also took the pictures of me and George taping the tarps up. Thanks Rick.

If you would like to be part of the Reefing of the Monica Lee, our next work day will be this coming Saturday and Sunday. I especially need volunteers for Sunday! Time is getting short and we need to get her ready for inspection.

Thanks again to everyone who has helped so far!
    Candy
    President, ECRA
    Reef Deployment Director

I live in Val-p, FL. My boat lives in Niceville & I dive off the coast of Destin.

Default Work Day 5, Thursday December 2nd

The tank was, at some point, lined with a thin layer of concrete. Much of that thin layer from the walls and the top of the tank has broken off and is now lying in the bottom of the tank. Robert sawed holes in the bottom of the tank on both sides to allow the water to drain out and we pumped the water into buckets and emptied it into a 55 gallon drum because it was pretty rusty looking.

We got about the business of removing the foam. The best tool for the job was our reciprocating saws and pry bars. Robert was making much faster progress so I went over and saw his technique and boy did that make all the difference!

We worked for several hours then re-taped up the doors to keep rain water out of the boat. We are very pleased that it appears that the only water intrusion of any consequence has come through missing windows and doors and now that we are keeping them covered, the boat is staying very dry inside.

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR AWESOME WORK ROBERT!
    Candy
    President, ECRA
    Reef Deployment Director

Default Work Day # 6 Saturday December 4th 2010

Work Day # 6, Saturday December 4, 2010

AWESOME Volunteers:
    Capt. Frankie Chambless
    Martha Chambless
    Robert Crum
    Robert Hyde
    Lou Bolin
    Candy Hansard

I think I already posted a post about our work day in the Volunteer Roster so, I'll move it here later.

Here are the pictures from that day. You'll notice MANY pictures of Robert Crum and his journey into and out of the fuel tanks. That was just so amazing, I couldn't stop with the camera! BTW: Robert Crum is 6' 8" tall! I don't think anyone would believe what he was able to do if I hadn't been taking pictures! I'll say it again: AMAZING! There was very little fuel left in the tank and Robert was able to scoop it out into a 5 gallon bucket that we then emptied into a 55 gallon drum. He used oil diapers to sop up the remaining fuel.
    Candy
    President, ECRA
    Reef Deployment Director

Default Last pictures from day 6

Last pictures from day 6

It was really funny seeing how dirty we all were and then there was Martha who worked all day and left almost as clean as when she arrived. I need to take lessons from that lady!

BTW: I had a manicure the day before and didn't break a nail. I'd say it was a successful day!
    Candy
    President, ECRA
    Reef Deployment Director

Default Work Day # 7 Sunday December 5, 2010

The Volunteers that showed up were:

Lou Bolin and Candy Hansard

Lou got there before I did because I went to Sams Club to buy more Dawn and Simple green for cleaning the bilge and they didn't open until 10:00 on Sunday, who knew?!

When I got there, lou was repairing a piece of his cutting torch but when he asked me what was the most important thing to get done, I told him I most wanted to get rid of the rest of the foam.

Lou was a real trouper and got right to work. I went off to continue cleaning the bilge in the engine room and began to feel sick.

I think I either came down with a stomach and intestinal virus that's been going around or I had a bad attack of food poisoning. Either way, I wasn't able to work for very long before I called Stone to come drive me home. I was way too sick to drive by the time I called for help.

God Bless Lou, he continued working even after I left but, unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures of the work he did. I can't thank him enough for being such a wonderful help during our entire reef cleaning process. He has been vital to our success in getting Monica ready for deployment.

One of the best things that has happened during the cleaning of the Monica Lee has been getting to know some of our members much better. I can honestly say that I believe the finest people in Okaloosa County are Members of our organization! You are all wonderful and Lou...an especially HUGE thank you for your work on Sunday, you're a man of fine character and tremendous skill. I don't know what we would have done without your help! You have been a magnificent addition to our reef building team! Thank you so much!!!
    Candy
    President, ECRA
    Reef Deployment Director

Workday 7 Volunteers: Robert Crum and Candy Hansard

Today was a day that accomplished a lot! Robert worked like a machine and what he managed to get done was nothing short of amazing.

Robert removed the tv antenna pole, the Monica Lee sign, the two support bars in the windows in the crew quarters, cut a flooding hole in the stern hold, fuel tanks, and the bulk head.

I had on-site meetings with the owner of the boat yard, the owner of the boat and then 3 county officials. All meetings were productive and I was happy with the increase in support for our efforts by the County.

After that was over, like Robert said, I spent the day cleaning up foam, rust chips, breaking up shale on the walls of the hull in the bow, scraping loose rust from overhead beams and the remaining steel curtain then sweeping to get as much off as possible because I have completely swept that area on 3 separate occasions and each time I returned, it looked like it had never been cleaned. I had to remove all the junk that was continuing to foul that area. I didn't finish in there so hopefully, someone will come this weekend and finish it up. I also played fireman for Robert.

I want to tell you all that we are very fortunate to have Robert back in town, he has really been a tremendous
    help!!!

Attached are some pictures I took yesterday.
    Candy
    President, ECRA
    Reef Deployment Director

Default Workday 8 Saturday December 11, 2010

Workday 8 Saturday December 11, 2010

Today was the day to attack the engine room.

Volunteers were: Candy, Rich, Ken and a guy that lives on one of the boats at the marina. When I remember his name, I'll edit this post.

Thanks so much for all the help today guys! Y'all are FANTASTIC!

Because of the size of the steamer, Rich came over and put the pull cart in the back of his truck then followed me to the boat yard.

When we pulled in, there was a bunch of commercial fishermen wearing these awesome rubber boots so I jumped out of the car and ran over to ask them if we could borrow them. Believe it or not, those guys loaned us 2 pairs of boots! A few minutes later, James, from Turn Key Marine showed up with a pair of his wife's rubber boots that fit me great! Ok, the day was off to a good start...that's always a good sign. Oh, and another thing that I was especially happy about was that it wasn't a freezing day. It looked like it was going to rain most of the day but it didn't.

After we removed everything from the engine room and cranked up the steamer, the first thing I cleaned was the oil tank at the back of the engine room. I thought it would look clean when I was done but it is still black. I took a work towel and rubbed it across it and it was clean. Yea!

Well, it didn't rain outside but inside the engine room, it got pretty steamy. Rich, crawled into the fuel tanks and power washed them both 2 times. I was really wishing that we had drilled holes in all the compartments near the floor to drain the tanks. Maybe one of our members would come out and do that for us.

One thing to tell you is that when that steamer is on, it only takes about a minute until you are almost working blind because the steam fills the room like wet smoke. Fortunately, Bobby, who works for Mr. Tucker, loaned me a drop down face protector which worked 100 times better than the eye protection goggles. It was the right tool for the job. Eye protection while steaming is not just recommended, it is necessary. Stuff flies everywhere!

The gentleman that lives at the marina offered to help so I gave him some 5 gallon buckets and a short handled shovel and the big dustpan and put him to work in the stern hold removing rust chips. He worked for an hour or so, took off to take care of something then came back and cleaned some more. That was so wonderful.

Ken worked for a little while cleaning up in the bow hold and also helped take dirty water to the drums. It was great that he came to help today, I really appreciate that. (Good Job on Rich for calling his buddy this morning on his way to the boat!) I wish he could have stayed longer but he had other commitments he needed to tend to. Still, very grateful for his help today.

I power washed the walls and ceiling on the starboard side then rich did the Port side. I washed under the engine room floor on the port side twice and then went to the starboard side where Rich took over. He also sprayed the port under the floor again. I'm sure it needed it. Most of the back end of the engine room is clean. When Rich was steaming, I was pulling water out of the bilge and pumping it into the gas cans for removal. I love that steamer!

The hours were going past pretty quickly so we decided to start emptying the bilge. We filled old fuel cans with nasty water and Rich took it to the 55 gallon drums for disposal. We completely filled 2 of the empty drums which was a lot less than I expected.

It was getting late in the day so Rich began to load the trailer with the steamer and collect up all the loose stuff and re-tape the windows. I jumped into the bilge with a trowel and began to dig out sludge that must have been there for 50 years. It was like mud and it was clogging the holes that allow the water to move from one section of the bilge to the next so it really needed to be dug out. Thanks to having Val's boots, I was finally able get to the very back of the boat and dig that nasty stuff out. I filled up 5 buckets of sludge just from the bilge that's easy to access, there is still bilge area that goes up to the bulkhead that is going to be quite a challenge to get to.

I surveyed the area near the bulkhead to make a plan for cleaning back there. I really hate to say it but I think the floor back there needs to be cut out. What is there is rusted out and dangerous and the mess up under it may be impossible to clean with that floor in place. Where the floor is rusted out, you can see 50 years of grime that has to go. I need someone with a big saw or a torch to get that floor out of the way.

The good news is that the steamer works great! The bad news is that I can't operate it by all by myself. You have to pull a crank and I am not strong enough to do that. I'm also not strong enough to get it off my trailer and down the dock.

I've paid for it and will have it tomorrow but I need help. On Monday morning, I have to return it. If the engine room doesn't get done this weekend, it will cost another $180.00 to rent that steamer again. I'd really like to get done this weekend!!! Will you help me? I promise I won't ask you to dig out sludge, I've got that covered. I do have some wonderful Tyvek oil protection suits that you can put on before you start working and it will protect your clothes from getting dirty. (A giant thanks to James for that donation!!!)

Will you please help me on Sunday?

I'll add a few pictures to this post soon.
    Candy
    President, ECRA
    Reef Deployment Director

Default Workday 9 Sunday December 12, 2010

Workday 9 Sunday December 12, 2010

I REALLY APPRECIATE THE PEOPLE THAT SHOWED UP TO HELP TODAY!
    THEY WERE THE ANSWER TO MY PRAYERS! THANKS SO MUCH GUYS!

My Very Appreciated Volunteers were:

Stone Hansard
    John Garland
    Don Guy

Wow! Did we ever get a bunch of cleaning done today!

The focus of the day was to clean, clean, clean! The men got the steamer off the back of my trailer and get it all set up while I went into the bilge and began to pump out the rain water from the big storm the night before. We had to get the water out so that we could put more water in with the steamer. Too bad that rain water had to be put in the drums, but it was dirty once it mixed with the mess we left down there the day before.

John decided he wanted to be the Steam Master today and he didn't get any argument from me! He steamed the engine room twice. The gunk that went into the bilge was a task that I began to attack as soon as we filled the containers for the waste water to be removed for disposal in the 55 gallon drums. Don and John did the job of filling the drums with waste water. Unless you were down there, you wouldn't believe how much gunk washed into that bilge. There was one part of the bilge under the floor that my arms just couldn't reach and John got in there and dispatched with that mess in short order. Most of the bilge is easy to access now that I am using Val's wonderful rubber boots but near the bulk head, it is a lesson in contortion and being in spaces that make me feel uncomfortable. Anyway, I handled it and got the job done so that we could continue cleaning. (The gunk clogs up the drain holes so it has to be dug out with a garden trowel.)

Stone was nursing that intestinal virus that I had last week and didn't feel good but came out just in case nobody else showed so I would have help. I really appreciated that honey! Anyway, he cleaned up the closets, moved the concrete so it wouldn't get wet from the steaming and most impressively, cleanded under the watertank. There was alot of loose foam that had to be gotten out and he did a fantastic job.

Don did some paint scraping, sweeping and water & trash hauling until the other men left then I noticed some areas under the flooring in the engine room that needed another hit with the sprayer so he brought out his power washer and hooked it up for me. It worked great to get those few areas that needed a little more work. After that, I went back to filling containers for Don to dump in the barrels and then back to digging out gunk in the bilge so the water would flow out to the middle.

Once all the 55 gallon drums were full, I gave up on cleaning the bilge. It was getting late and we needed to put stuff away and secure the windows and doors. Putting up tarps in strong winds is a two person job and Don was a great help getting things taped up and ready for the night.

After we got all the tarps put back up, Don took his awesome power washer and sprayed off the bow and the deck on the port side as well as rinsing off the dock. I want him to come back with that awesome power washer. It made short work of cleaning the outside of the boat. GREAT JOB, DON!

Then, it was time to call it a day. Fortunately, Don didn't drive away too quickly because my car battery went dead. When I pull the trailer, I have to put the lights on "ON" instead of automatic and I forgot to turn them off. Good thing I had a set of jumper cables in my trunk. Thanks for the jump Don!

Good day and you could REALLY see a lot of progress after we were done.
    Thanks again Guys, you're all AWESOME!!

Again, it's been a very long day so I'll post pictures later.
    Candy
    President, ECRA
    Reef Deployment Director

What a terrific bunch of Volunteers we had today at the Monica Lee!

ECRA thanks the following people who donated their Saturday to help us finish up some cleaning:

Ed Presson
    Rich Jones
    John Garland
    Tyler and of course, me

Today was the day that the rest of the rust chips were removed from the stern hold. What a great job the guys did! It's a tight squeeze to get in there and there are rusted pipes that you have to watch out for while you're moving around. Those chips are also very heavy but the guys got them out and into the dumpster so the Stern Hold is good to go! A great big thanks to Lou who removed the winch that provided easy access for the guys and another big thanks to Robert who cut a hole to the engine room that provided ventilation and another source of light. This has been such a wonderful team effort!

Ed brought his small shop vac and John went inside the fuel tanks and removed the water that was left after we steam cleaned the boat last weekend. Boy howdy, those tanks are CLEAN! Great Job John.

Candy spent 6 hours on the boat today digging out every last bit of junk from the bilge. That small hand trowel was worth it's weight in gold! I would like to add that the Tyvek suits donated by James and the rubber boots I borrowed from Val were the greatest things to have if you are going to spend your day in a bilge. Thanks so much James and Val! The bilge is probably cleaner than in any boat in the entire county now.

At the end of the day, we removed almost everything from the boat. She looks beautiful but my trailer is going to take a while to unload and put stuff away.

I forgot my camera at home today so there will be no pictures from today's work but I will tell you all that these guys worked hard today! Thanks so much guys, as always, you are the GREATEST!
    Candy
    President, ECRA
    Reef Deployment Director