Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: lionfish

I live in Val-p, FL. My boat lives in Niceville & I dive off the coast of Destin.

GREAT NEWS MEMBERS!

The FWC is going to bring up removing the licensing requirement along with a recommendation to approve this new rule at the next FWCC meeting in April. If approved by the commissioners, this rule could be voted on at the June Meeting. Still a LONG, SLOW process but at least things are moving in the right direction.

Once the Monica Lee is sunk, lets start working together to put together a public information campaign to launch this spring. Maybe we can save our fishery up here in NWF!

Candy

Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 2:19 PM
    To: Candy Hansard
    Cc: Dodrill, Jon; Teehan, William; Abrams, Rich; Bademan, Martha; McCawley, Jessica
    Subject: RE: Picture of Pyramid Mooring Anchor Mold

Candy,
    Thanks for the update. I talked to Cindy, she briefed me on the meeting yesterday and told me you are finalizing the latest draft of the sink plan this week. Great, it looks like things are slowly coming together on the new tugboat reef.

Speaking of coming together, on the lionfish issue I have some news. An important meeting was held downtown late yesterday with senior FWC Law Enforcement, Legal and DMFM staff. The waiver of a saltwater fishing license for the take of lionfish was discussed at length. It was determined by the FWC Legal staff, that a change to the Florida Statutes and new legislative authority was not needed for this action, this would have taken forever. This means FWC has the authority to write a new rule, and if the FWC Commissioners approve it, waiving the requirement for a saltwater fishing license for the take of lionfish by divers. Law Enforcement did not have any major enforcement concerns, as long as all the fish in the diversí coolers were lionfish, no license needed. However, if they had other regulated species in their coolers, then a license would be required. This seems fairly straight forward.

We (DMFM) have been tasked to get a new rule drafted and we will try to get it on the FWC Commission meeting for April, although I am told the agenda is already quite full. This FWC meeting will be in Tallahassee, April 6 & 7 and you are welcome to attend. If we get this issue on the agenda, DMFM staff will make a short presentation and recommendation to adopt this new rule, but it is up to the FWC commissioners to approve it. If they approve moving forward with the new draft rule, it can be adopted at the next FWC meeting in June.I will try to keep you informed as the process moves forward.

Bill
    Candy
    President, ECRA
    Reef Deployment Director

2. Default Informative Bahamian LionFish Video

This very informative video from the Bahamas shows what is being done there to help contol this invasive species.

http://www.livestream.com/grandbaham...a-c7610147982d

Let's stick those sucka's and fry 'em up !
    Capt Rick

I live in Val-p, FL. My boat lives in Niceville & I dive off the coast of Destin.

Default Lion Fish article from - Reef Relief

The Skinny on Hunting Lionfish!
    by, Rudy Bonn, Reef Relief's Director of Marine Projects

I thought I would clarify a few things concerning the Lionfish invasion here in the Keys, and elsewhere, but first a little background information.

The Indo-Pacific Lionfish, Pterois volitans and P. miles are members of the scorpion fish family, Scorpenidae. These fish are considered to be nocturnal predators, feeding upon small fishes and crustaceans such as shrimp. Gut content analysis has demonstrated that these two items form the bulk of prey items found in the stomachs of lionfish. However, a large percentage of items found in the stomachs of lionfish were unidentifiable due to advanced digestion. They are generally considered to be generalist piscivores (fish eating) and it has been documented that over 40 different species of fishes have been found and identified through gut analysis from 20 different families of fishes including Serranidae (sea basses and groupers), and Lutjanidae (snappers). Their impact upon marine food webs and trophic levels are still being assessed through scientific research. What we do know is that the lionfish were introduced into the waters of the western Atlantic via the aquarium trade. Since the initial introduction this species has invaded the eastern seaboard of the United States, Bermuda, the Bahamas, the Gulf of Mexico and other areas.

In terms of their reproduction, it has been documented that the species mature relatively early in their life history and produce eggs several times per month throughout the year and thus explains the wide distribution of the species that we see today.Lionfish have the potential to reduce ecologically important species that contribute to the health and sustainability of coral reef ecosystems. For example, parrotfish and other herbivores which help to keep sea weeds and algae from overgrowing coral reefs have been found in the stomachs of lionfish.

Another probable impact, one of which that has been ignored in the literature is the high probability of divers hunting lionfish coming into physical contact with the corals themselves. Lionfish are cryptic and prefer to hide under ledges and in recesses of the reef during the daylight hours and it is this behavior that will increase the probability of hunters coming into contact with the reef.

Corals are protected by a thin, mucous membrane and physical contact will result in that protective membrane being torn, thus allowing for potential access of disease organisms and other pathogens to the coral tissue.
    The same holds true for folks hunting lobsters as these organisms also prefer to hide in recesses in the reef during the daylight hours.

Human impacts to coral reef ecosystems are well documented and include everything from green house gas emissions, pollution, over fishing, and many others. When hunting lionfish or lobster, please take with you your most important weapon, that is your conscious, and please avoid coming into physical contact with the corals.

For more information concerning lionfish and to report sightings call Reef Relief 305-294-3100.

Incidentally, lionfish make for excellent table fare, just be careful when cleaning as their spines do contain venom and they can deliver a nasty sting.

The best treatment for a lionfish sting is to soak the injury in water as hot as you can possibly stand, it will help to draw out the venom and denature the proteins contained in the venom. Medical treatment by a doctor is also recommended.
    Candy
    President, ECRA
    Reef Deployment Director

4. Wink

Believe it or not, most of the time I dive I am conscious.

5. Default Lionfish found at inshore reef

When diving Tripletts reef 3 miles south of the pass in 80' of water I saw a juvenile lionfish 4 inches long. I killed it and left it on the bottom as I did not have a plastic bag to put it in............"They're here!"

Bob did exactly the right thing to kill the lionfish.

Members, if you see a lionfish, please kill it on sight! If we let them multiply, they will devistate our fishery.

They eat everything and have no natural preditors in our waters.

Please report any sightings to me immediately as I am reporting them to the FWC.
    Candy
    President, ECRA
    Reef Deployment Director

7. Default

Spotted a small lionfish on the member's crate reef last week (1 July). It was not in a position where I could kill it, although I did try.
    -Mark

8. Default Lionfish at the Eighteens

Spotted a 4" lionfish out at the Eigtheens today, tried to kill it but missed and it got away and hid under the reef.

9. Default

Spotted a 3" lionfish out at the Eigtheens today, tried to kill it but missed and it got away and hid under the reef.

10. Default

Spotted a lionfish 80' west of the Liberty Ship in the rocky bottom.... didn't have polespear so I didn't get it killed