Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: lionfish

I live in Val-p, FL. My boat lives in Niceville & I dive off the coast of Destin.

Members,

Below is a copy of an e-mail received from Jon Dodrill, FWC about the most recent lionfish derby in S. Florida. Subdude has already spotted a lion fish in our area so our clock is ticking to take care of this situation. I am going to have a confrence call with James Morris, NOAA, on Friday to discuss ways for our members to be proactive in eliminating this non-native species that is VERY dangerous to the sustainability of our fishery.

Please stay tuned for more information and if you spot a lionfish, please contact me a.s.a.p. with details and the location.

************************************************** ********************************

Sent: Thursday, November 18, 2010 10:11 AM
    To: Candy Hansard
    Subject:

Hi Candy, here are the results of the most recent FL Keys lionfish tournament. Jon dodrill
    Derbies help to eliminate invasive lionfish
    Lionfish have no known predators except man
    November 17, 2010
    Share| Email this article | Printer friendly version
    KEY WEST, Florida Keys -- There are 659 less Indo-Pacific red lionfish occupying the waters of the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary.
    The final in a series of three lionfish derbies was staged Saturday, Nov. 13, off the Lower Keys and divers captured 109 of the invasive species, adding to the totals of two previous contests staged in Key Largo in September and in Marathon in October.
    During Saturday's derby, Melbourne, Fla., residents Rob Pillus, Jeremy Norcross and Mike Dugan caught 25 lionfish to capture the contest's top $1,000 prize.
    Lionfish off the southeast U.S., Bahamas and in the Caribbean impact indigenous fish because they eat important juvenile reef species, such as grouper and snapper.
    Lionfish have no known predators except man, said Lad Akins of the Reef Environmental Education Foundation.
    They have venomous spines but, when properly cleaned, yield a white meat that is considered a delicacy. Saturday night's derby banquet featured lionfish.
    Organized efforts to control the lionfish population and educate divers on the benefits of killing lionfish are to continue Dec. 8 with another derby that coincides with celebration activities surrounding the 50th anniversary of the establishment of John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park in Key Largo. The park is America's first underwater preserve.
    Online:
    Pennekamp Lionfish Roundup: www.reef.org/lionfish/roundup/pennekamp
    Key Largo Lodging: www.fla-keys.com/keylargo or 1-800-122-1088
    Candy
    President, ECRA
    Reef Deployment Director

I live in Val-p, FL. My boat lives in Niceville & I dive off the coast of Destin.

Members,

The Lionfish that was spotted by Subdude this summer was the first to be seen off our shores. The time it takes for an explosion of this species after the first sighting is within the first 2 years according to the e-mail from Jon Dodrill in a previous post. The story below says it took only 14 months in the Florida Keys.

These fish could quickly desimate our recreationally important fishery.

Please Report any sitings of Lionfish to me immediately.

Today, I had a talk with James Morris from NOAA and he is going to send me a specemin sample kit so if you kill or capture one, please contact me immediately so that I can send the sample in for DNA testing to try and see where these fish are coming from. Be very careful if you handle these fish as they have poison in their fins that can sting the heck out of you.

Here's a story I thought you might find interesting.

Story link: http://www.keysnet.com/2010/06/23/23...exploding.html

A flood of lionfish sightings in Florida Keys waters has swamped the fish counters.

"It's gotten crazy. We're probably getting a dozen to 20 calls a day just from the Keys," said Alecia Adamson, field-operations coordinator for the Reef Environmental Education Foundation, based in Key Largo.

In April, 14 months since the first lionfish was spotted in Keys waters in January 2009, REEF staff had logged 119 reports from divers seeing lionfish. Of those, 71 were captured.

By this week, the Keys count of sightings and captures of the invasive-exotic fish -- which can devastate reefs -- had escalated into the unknown.

"I can say we have between 100 and 120 lionfish in our freezer right now," Adamson said Monday. Experts suspected lionfish reports would skyrocket once divers returned to Keys waters in force after a chilly spring.

REEF still wants local lionfish reports but asks divers to submit them online at the "Programs" section of the www.reef.org Web site.

One fish collector removed 10 lionfish from an Upper Keys reef in one day. Pro divers from Horizon Divers in Key Largo are bringing in "four and five lionfish at a time" after catching them with a net, Adamson said.

"We've gotten lionfish from all over," said Horizon dive instructor Mike Ryan. "Molasses Reef, French Reef, the Spiegel Grove" shipwreck. Lionfish also have been seen at the Christ of the Abyss Statue and the Duane shipwreck reef off Key Largo, he said.

Horizon instructor Troy Wheatley reported seeing "15 to 20" lionfish on a recent reef dive, Ryan said.

"All the ones we've captured are juveniles, under 4 inches long," Ryan said. "That's bad because it means they're breeding."

Divers taking a class through REEF can receive a special permit from the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary to remove the unwanted lionfish from the Sanctuary Preservation Areas, where all fish harvests normally are banned.

"You don't need a permit to take lionfish from outside the SPAs," Adamson noted.

Ken Miller, a part-time Long Key resident from Colorado, reported seeing an adult 8-inch lionfish near Christmas Tree Cave at French Reef, about 25 feet deep, on a late-May dive.

"It was big and there was no doubt it was a lionfish," Miller said. "We went back several times to look at it, and it was still there."

"It was a fabulous creature to see, but it also was disappointing," Miller said. "This is the wrong ocean, and the lionfish are so invasive."

Although lionfish are festooned with a dozen feathery spines that each can deliver a jolt of potent venom, the main threat of the Pacific Ocean species is to native fish life on the Keys reef.

Lionfish have overwhelmed some Bahamas reefs. A 2008 report found that significantly fewer native fish were found on reefs were lionfish -- fast breeding and ready to eat just about anything -- have become established.

A "lionfish roundup" held in June 2009 off Abaco in the Bahamas bagged 1,408 lionfish, Adamson said.

During this year's event, held last weekend in Abaco, divers from 21 boats caught another 941. Adamson said the lower number was more likely due to dive conditions than any significant decrease in the lionfish population.
    Candy
    President, ECRA
    Reef Deployment Director

3. Default

Interesting video on how to spear, detoxify, and clean a Lionfish.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMBE7...eature=related

Good Diving,
    Capt Rick

4. Default Lionfish Kill Decals

Record your Lionfish kills with these decals for your scuba tank, boat, car, ect.

http://www.topshelfmarine.com/produc...products_id=94

Good Lionfish Huntin'
    Capt Rick

5. Default we need T- shirts about lion fish

How about I make T-shirts with pictures and the scary facts about them -design the whole thing as a "WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE "or better yet "KILL ON SIGHT " that will help get the word out to everyone so we can start slowing down all tht breeding .I'll contact the dive shops asap and see if we can get troops for the ARMY OF EXTERMANTORS that we need to control their spead.I'll be going to myfwc to see what their are going to do about it .

Wow! Robert, your ideas are AWESOME!

ECRA does want to tackle this problem head-on and we will need help from the masses. It sounds like you are ready to be recruited.

After the holidays are over, we need to really get started on this.

Great to have you on board!

Anyone else want to join the war on the Lionfish?

If we keep them killed, as we see them, while it's still in the early stage of their invasion into our area, we may be spared the devistation to our native species.

I'm really hoping that this cold weather will help control them. We'll see.
    Candy
    President, ECRA
    Reef Deployment Director

Post lionfish program

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20101229/...orida_lionfish
    Interesting article. It says they can be caught on rod/reel. Anyone know what kind of bait you would use to target them? How big do these things get?

I also found it interesting that there is no money available for a bounty??? We have Millions for stymulus money but none for the most cost effective way to get rid them, a bounty?!?

It also says that no special prep is required to eat them. Just avoid the spines when cleaning them, serve 'em up!

8. Default lionfish

there is a cool y-tube of them cleaning one with tin snips for the spines on the dorsal and he left the pectrol spines attached to the head then scaled it its listed at y-tube as lionfisn hunter

9. Default

I read an article recently that the small Lionfish we are starting to see off our Gulf Coast are most likely coming from the Florida Keys as Lionfish larva being carried by the current to us where they are being deposited on our reefs to mature.
    Here's a new mini spearpole designed especially for Lionfish (be sure to watch the videos):

http://www.acuspear.com/reef-defender-lionfish-spear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSuNk...eature=related

Let's Stick Those Suckas !!
    Capt Rick

10. Default LionFish Info From ScubaBoard

Here's some good info from a Lionfish thread on Spearboard.
    There's also a good photo of a juvenile Lionfish taken off Panama City last October.

http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=114386

Let's Stick Those Suckas !!
    Capt Rick